Lately I have been really into connecting with my roots. My mother’s family is Scottish, with red hair and tartan everything. My father’s family is Polish, and I definitely inherited the Slavic features. The cool thing is looking back through old family photos, I can see where my jawline and high cheekbones come from – this face shape has carried on through the generations! I really wanted to connect to the people in the old black-and-whites, so last December I started learning how to speak Polish, and I also started making traditional Polish foods.
This was my first attempt at Polish Krówka. I read it is similar to East Asian milk candies like White Rabbit, and I’ve also heard it referred to as “The Eastern European version of dulce de leche”. Interesting how so many cultures have similar foods! I found this recipe here on andcute.com and they turned out pretty great!
150g butter (plus extra for greasing the parchment paper in the pan)
200ml heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Butter parchment paper and line an 8×8 in square pan or other container.
2. Melt butter and sugar over medium heat until dissolved, stirring often.
3. Add cream and vanilla. Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes until you have a thick molasses-type consistency. The mixture will have lost about 60% of its original mass, this is normal!
4. Transfer the mixture into a glass bowl until cooled
5. Pour mixture into the parchment lined dish. Let it cool completely overnight in a cool place.
6. Cut into pieces. I chose to wrap mine individually, which is perfect for on-the-go!
I really liked this recipe. I heated my mixture for closer to an hour before I had the right consistency, but it’s possible I didn’t have the heat turned up high enough. Also, the original recipe didn’t specify, so I used salted butter, which offset the sweetness nicely. And, because I’m American and measurements here are a bit different, I had to guess how much butter to add. My end result turned out really buttery so I’m sure I added too much, but they were still good. I plan to try making these again soon. I’m so glad this recipe was posted!
Have you had Polish milk caramels? Do you know of other Polish recipes you think I should try? Let me know! 🙂